Last Week's Taobao Delights 0.1

After watching a Facebook Live (which I actually missed but watched later), it made me think of The Tea, a podcast by some members of the Leeds Community about new releases from various brands. As I watched this (not so live) Live, it made me think about how unexcited I've been about brand releases, instead looking forward to what Taobao brands have to offer. I get tempted EVERY day by posts by Chinese Lolita Updates (a FB page and SS dedicated to sharing new Taobao releases) so I thought I'd do a round-up of seven dresses (because there are SO many each day, I need to cap it for sure) that excited me in the week just gone! 

Without further ado, let's see what excited me last week!

---

29/07/2019



Initial reaction - EXCUSE ME! Is this a Chinese Medicine dress???

This print comes in three different cuts: JSK, Qi dress and Hanfu and in black and white.

 

I'm sure you can already tell that I'm swayed towards the white in classical Chinese style cuts. The idea of this print alone really lends itself to this style and I think it really gives a feel of an ethereal healer, especially with the styling. 



The black however does make the print pop but I think it loses the daintiness. It might just be me but I think homegirl is with an unorthodox sect and definitely working with poison! xD

And if you know me, you'll know how I feel about Hanfu and I just absolutely LOVE this dress! Look how elegant and refined Model-chan is! She would 10/10 find an antidote for you!
Big yes! SO much LOVE!

---

30/07/2019



Initial reaction - Ooo, books!

This also comes in black and a warmer brown and as a skirt, all in two lengths.

At first sight, I really liked the look of this! As I looked at it some more, I started feeling like it was leaning more towards Otome for me, possibly due to the styling. I would be interested to know what this would look like with a fuller petticoat underneath - is there space? 
Overall, a very pretty dress, especially for more casual days. Regardless of which way it leans, it's very pretty and probably very easy to wear. Model-chan looks like she works at a private detective agency and she's bossing it! Would wear!

---



Initial reaction - SHROOMS!

This comes in two cuts, a normal waist JSK and a sack OP.
And THIS is where I am conflicted! 
I love the mushrooms and the way they're painted and I love the fact that it's a placement print - this is V refreshing! BUT I think I only like the sack OP. HOWEVER, I do NOT like sack dresses on me!
I love the way it's styled with long, peeping, bloomers on Model-chan but I will look like a big lampshade. It's a no from me.

---

31/07/2019


 

Initial reaction - SO glitzy!

Time for another Chinese style number, this time Qi Lolita. I believe it's only available in this cut and colourway.
Let's start with the one thing I don't like because overall, this dress is a lot of yes. I don't like and don't understand the arm cuffs! Like these are literally wristcuffs but for your upper arms?! They look nice on Model-chan but for me, nope.
I LOVE the gradient on the skirt, the glitzy tulle and the details on the bodice! I also love how they've styled it here, it's very elegant and very pretty. I just have the biggest craving for my own cultural fashion right now so I would just like to wear this as a fancy dress! Unfortunately I've already graduated and I don't know when I'll next be invited to a wedding but LOVE LOVE LOVE!

---



Initial reaction - OMG, Ocelot! Excuse me, re-release???

Two colourways, a JSK, a skirt AND a shirt! Ocelot apparently is SO good they're doing a second lot! I wish I was saying that sarcastically and as much as my brain says no, I think my heart likes this? I would drop the ears for a bow or beret and wear this with my black lace up boots!


Look at Model-chan! She she looks bitchin'! I think this dress (or skirt) has the potential to be so much fun!


But most importantly, we NEED to talk about this baby ocelot! I will take both the dress and the smol cat, thank you please!

---



Initial reaction - AHAHAHA! Wait... what?

Here's another case of I shouldn't like this (because my brain is shouting NO!) but part of me really likes it! I don't know WHY I like it but something is making my heart say yes.


There is something about the details in this that appeal to me. I would wear this with my black lace up boots, a red lip and my hair in a bun!
HOWEVER! I also know that this look is NOT for me and it most definitely looks a LOT better in my head than it will in real life - like can you even IMAGINE me trying to be ero? Because that's funny!
A somewhat unfortunate pass!

---



Initial reaction - Swords though!

Two colourways for this dress! I can't tell for sure if the print is telling the story of Hua Mulan but I feel like the styling and photo shoot is trying to! In the light of  my mixed feelings about the new Disney remake of Mulan, I am into this! Especially the make up! For anyone who hasn't heard me express my feelings on the live action remake, I dig almost everything APART from Mulan because I really don't like Crystal Liu as an actress (long story short, in the same way that Kristen Stewart can only really play sulky teenagers, Crystal Liu can only play dainty, ethereal fairies/ maidens - her nickname is 'Fairy Sister' after all!) and don't think she's suitable for playing Mulan.

But back to the dress! I like the colours and the way the corset over skirt accentuates the waist BUT I'm not overly into the bodice? I think the neckline doesn't do it for me.

This is definitely the weakest Chinese style dress of the week for me but I DO love the styling and the photography! In fact, I really like Model-chan in the blue's face! I want her to play Hua Mulan!

---

And that's a wrap of the seven dresses from Taobao that I picked out this week! I've attached a link to the relevant post on Chinese Lolita Updates on Facebook should you like to see more pictures, prices, etc.

To top the post off with a cherry, let's do 'My Favourite Dress' and the 'Most Wearable Dress'!


My Favourite Dress - Compendium of Materia Medica  (Hanfu OP) & Most Wearable Dress - Dusty Books (Black JSK, short version for me)



---

This was a super long post, thank you if you stuck around to read it! What did you think of my picks? Did you agree with any of my thoughts?
Which of the lot is your favourite/ do you think is the most wearable? 

And would you like to see another of these posts?

- Part Time 小姐

Comments

  1. Please, make this a regular feature! There are so many Chinese brands popping up and doing seemingly a bazillion things that even following Chinese Lolita Updates gets mindboggling very quickly. This is a good snapshot of notable things.
    I can definitely see you in the Chinese Medicine Dress and the white JSK could be very versatile - the Hanfu might also, but it may take a bit more work?
    I like Ocelot as an idea or as larme-kei, definitely needs a beret instead of that cheap cat ears headband. My heart went "Oooh!" at the sight of that Dark Taboo dress, something about the pleather/vinyl speaks to me. But then the more I looked, the more I found things I was less keen on - I'd do a different (less cutesy) sleeve and would make sure the waist is actually at the waist (this looks a touch high), as well as more nipped in (maybe that is an option with corset lacing, but it doesn't look boned, so it might not actually do much).
    Overall, much agree with what you've said, I look forward to more Last Week's Taobao Delights!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahahah, thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed my very brief Taobao rundown of the week!
      I absolutely agree! The JSK is definitely more versatile but the Hanfu OP allows me to live my costume drama fantasies - it is likely that I will wear it more in a casual, classic Chinese style way as opposed to lolita.
      The cat ears 100% need to go! Ocelot as an idea is something I love!
      Me too! It was definitely the pleather that got me haha! I agree with you about the sleeves. The cute puff sleeve is a little off for me. I'd like to see this with sheer bishop sleeves!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Remote Twinning - The haberdashery is open!

Comfy Coords - Lockdown Edition

ZJ Story 2020 Preview Tea Party